So you've noticed that I haven't been on here for approximately 4 months and if you've guessed it right, my sudden diligence(which decided to appear out of nowhere) wanted to get myself a job which could teach me the importance of punctuality and the improvisation of both my people and communicating skills.
And the experience has been somewhat enriching in many aspects. I've met and known several people along the way and it's been a wonderful experience, overall. Sure, working in retail with so many asshole-y customers with their bitchy behaviour and attitude towards a plethora of things(really, a plethora of things which you as a worker would never have thought of to question) can be taxing at times, it does help you to try and overcome these 'crises' in ways you've never thought would be possible aka sweet talking tactics and emotional ignorances can be ensued further on for sure.
Anyways, although it was a really brief stint in the following industry(2 months), I do think it'll stay with me for some time(or maybe forever, who knows?). After I've stopped working at the following store, I remember having coffee with friends at a coffee shop at NU Sentral. I ordered my regular drink(Mocha) and me having a bit of a sweet tooth, also ordered an additional chocolate chip cookie to satisfy that sudden, incredulous urge. The waiter brought along my drink 5 minutes later but no cookie. Wondered what was up but waited for another 5-10 minutes. Still nothing. So I went up to the counter and said that my cookie hasn't arrived yet and the cashier looked particularly baffled and surprised that he forgot about my order. I told it wasn't a problem and let the issue slide but friends told me I should have made a face and told him that I wanted to speak to his manager and all that hubbub.
The things is, I didn't really feel that was at all necessary. I mean working in retail for 2 months, makes me realize that we humans, can be somewhat monstrous to any particular worker who has caused somewhat of an issue in any particular matter(especially when it involves the F&B industry). Sure, if we're unsatisfied with what has been done - their attitude, their actions, etc - there are certain ways to deal with them, between a customer and that of a worker. There's no required need to scream, shout or show that you're boss since you might be of a "higher status" than these individuals. The one thing I can't really stand is when a particular individual starts wanting to show off his "stripes" because he can or more moronically, because he wants to, just for the fun of it which is absolutely ludicrous. But yes, I believe in treating workers right and if there's still no apologies on their end(for whatever mistake they've made), I suppose you can then, maybe up the ante but to a certain degree which seems befitting.
So yeah, where am I heading to? Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and it's already official. It feels somewhat scary and exciting to bring oneself to a foreign land(albeit, it maybe part of your homeland) but still with more and more greener terrains. That's already a pro in my book but we'll see how all that would turn out.
Anyways, I got to continue on packing and see if all fares to well. Wouldn't want to have additional baggage trips, would I?
And the experience has been somewhat enriching in many aspects. I've met and known several people along the way and it's been a wonderful experience, overall. Sure, working in retail with so many asshole-y customers with their bitchy behaviour and attitude towards a plethora of things(really, a plethora of things which you as a worker would never have thought of to question) can be taxing at times, it does help you to try and overcome these 'crises' in ways you've never thought would be possible aka sweet talking tactics and emotional ignorances can be ensued further on for sure.
Anyways, although it was a really brief stint in the following industry(2 months), I do think it'll stay with me for some time(or maybe forever, who knows?). After I've stopped working at the following store, I remember having coffee with friends at a coffee shop at NU Sentral. I ordered my regular drink(Mocha) and me having a bit of a sweet tooth, also ordered an additional chocolate chip cookie to satisfy that sudden, incredulous urge. The waiter brought along my drink 5 minutes later but no cookie. Wondered what was up but waited for another 5-10 minutes. Still nothing. So I went up to the counter and said that my cookie hasn't arrived yet and the cashier looked particularly baffled and surprised that he forgot about my order. I told it wasn't a problem and let the issue slide but friends told me I should have made a face and told him that I wanted to speak to his manager and all that hubbub.
The things is, I didn't really feel that was at all necessary. I mean working in retail for 2 months, makes me realize that we humans, can be somewhat monstrous to any particular worker who has caused somewhat of an issue in any particular matter(especially when it involves the F&B industry). Sure, if we're unsatisfied with what has been done - their attitude, their actions, etc - there are certain ways to deal with them, between a customer and that of a worker. There's no required need to scream, shout or show that you're boss since you might be of a "higher status" than these individuals. The one thing I can't really stand is when a particular individual starts wanting to show off his "stripes" because he can or more moronically, because he wants to, just for the fun of it which is absolutely ludicrous. But yes, I believe in treating workers right and if there's still no apologies on their end(for whatever mistake they've made), I suppose you can then, maybe up the ante but to a certain degree which seems befitting.
So yeah, where am I heading to? Kota Kinabalu, Sabah and it's already official. It feels somewhat scary and exciting to bring oneself to a foreign land(albeit, it maybe part of your homeland) but still with more and more greener terrains. That's already a pro in my book but we'll see how all that would turn out.
Anyways, I got to continue on packing and see if all fares to well. Wouldn't want to have additional baggage trips, would I?
No comments:
Post a Comment