Sunday, 24 April 2011

Social Stigma

"So when are you going to get someone to sweep you off your feet? I mean don't you want someone to call your own and utter sweet, delicate declarations of love to you? I'm sure being the one and only number can get pretty lonely sometimes."
As he asked me that question head on without any further hesitation but with an intent stare, I calmly answered it without any need of justification on my part. It's fairly simple really; I just don't believe that anyone studying(or not) here is on par with my level of thinking and social liberalism. I know this might make me sound like an egotistical bitch, what with my theories and all but hear me out.

The fact of the matter is people here have somehow grasped the concept that if one is in a relationship, it is better for them to get engaged or better yet, married right off the bat to prevent themselves from acquiring sins which might be due to their unforgivable actions. But I believe that with moderation and rationality, one can keep oneself from committing those sinful acts. How? By being surrounded by people who are open-minded and with an understanding as to how we could handle these sort of intricate situations.

If let's say, someone who lacks understanding as to why opposite sexes should communicate with one another or prohibits, any kind of relation amongst themselves by spewing words of ignorance and idiocy, by giving off signs of warning or even danger to practice social normalcy amongst one another, well I would say that the community's notion as a society is completely fucked up. And from what I can see thus far, social normalcy among Malaysians here is fucked up beyond repair.

Is it a sad tragedy? I like to think that it is. As much as I do think what they're doing is a right of passage in the eyes of God, I don't exceptionally believe in marriage - at a younger age and especially, not when it's during the individual's course of study. Being too much of a feminist am I? Imagine if you're a women, midway from getting your degree but in the midst of it all, you're unexpectedly expecting your first child. From the looks of things, if you've gotten yourself a liberal husband, he would've given you the green light to continue on your education. But what if he didn't? What if he asked you to drop it all right there and then, and wants you to raise the family instead. What then? In comparison to other statements that I've heard before, mine is just a reminder as to what a majority of women lack - common sense.

I remembered a conversation I had with a boy who got married a few months ago at the mere age of 19. He seemed happy because to him, it was an act that should've been done and never prolonged and I didn't exactly mind what was being said as his opinions were his and mine were mine. But when he told me of their plans after graduation, after 6 years of earning both their degrees together, he was going to ask his wife to stop working and look after their home and oncoming offsprings. Be a good and obedient wife, housewife and mother to their children.

I stood dead in my tracks. How could you let someone who has worked hard for their degree(6 fucking years,I might add) and expect them to just give it up without a hint of despair? The ideology of it all started with their parents having taught their children at a young age to become what their society refer to as the 'norms'. Females are supposed to submissive, obedient and always at the will of their husbands while males on the other hand, are projected as the stereotypical dominant alpha male that everyone and anyone should look up to but I digress because I think equality in certain aspects of life should be practiced.

Minds like these collide with mine. I've always believed that freedom is something that everyone is entitled to but it's unfortunate that some people don't seem to think about their own personal well-being first and foremost compared to others. And by that, I'm referring to the unmarried couples who are on the verge of wanting to get themselves hitched(very badly). Why quicken the pace of something so beautiful, that it shouldn't be enjoyed to the fullest? Why stress yourself over something that isn't written in stone? Why worry about the prime age of marriage when all is planned for His knowledge alone?

All I can say is,
I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay single till I graduate
and I'm hoping I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: