" You see, I have two prime choices to choose from and that's either to study in the UK or in Australia but I'm not exactly sure which one to pick from because both of them sound alright to me - as long as I graduate from a known university with a higher education, that's that."As you explained your predicaments to me, hues of smoke tinted by the orange fluorescent lights from above crowded our surrounding atmosphere. They danced alongside our silhouettes, tingling our senses with whatever notion they could possibly provoke however, you tried to ensure that none of them came my way because although I had a minute taste for a cancer stick or two, I never liked inhaling the smell of those acidic fumes. They always gave me a slight headache.
" Well, it isn't that difficult. I'm sure you've already picked a place to your liking but you just need a little bit of validation so you can then finally make a decision. Am I right? "You took a long, hard drag from your mentholated cigarette and exhaled with a slight sigh. Slowly but surely in time, you will reveal to me why things are somewhat complicated as they are and that's what those times have proven to you what I've become throughout the years - the attentive listener, the patient friend, the trustworthy confidante(until now, that is). Someone who is able to make your problems/insights run less amok and put everything into it's own perspective place or at least, that's what you've told me once before.
" Both my parents want me to continue my studies in Australia. You know, the whole time-distance thing is much, much less than it is in the UK. I have relatives in Sydney and my mom insists that I 'get to know them more' but I hardly doubt that since I've never met them before, ever. But she's hopeful and might probably want a family reunion to happen among us so we can then start singing 'Kum Ba Ya' around a fucking campfire and shit.
Again, something I highly doubt would happen but like I said, she's hopeful. That's what you get from being an only child - your parents' constant worries. Or in my case, if I'm doing swell in the social department."You said all that with an exasperated face and I knew I had to cheer you up, so I then replied,
"But aren't you? I mean eventhough you do have a tendency to get all blunt, sarcastic and dare I say, snarky with your comments and comebacks, I think you are taking the affirmed baby steps needed to come out of that wrapped up cocoon of yours , believe you me. And besides, you're conversing with yours truly right now. If that isn't proof, then I don't know what is! "You then chuckled and readjusted yourself in your seat while I drank a sip of my Milo Ais, awaiting for your answer to the statements I've made beforehand.
" Usually girls don't like it when I get all honest. They find it unappealing or sometimes a total turnoff so I don't exactly tell them what thoughts linger at the top of my head. I unfortunately give them the milder form of a typical answer to any type of question, even to Jac. But with you, you seem to handle my frankness pretty well. So I'm guessing you're the weird one here with awkward social skills, not me."You said this with a laugh and I could tell that you were enjoying making fun of me because let's be honest, as much as I come up with theories and explanations that might sound intelligent and rational to some, I truthfully suck at giving comebacks. It's a downfall that I unfortunately have, and you wanted to point that out at whatever possible situation. Something I don't exactly appreciate but I've gotten somewhat used to it because it's something you and I do - to annoy one another whenever our meet ups occur.
" Yeah, yeah, I'm weird. Fine. But getting back to our serious discussion, I think you should choose what you want Nick. I mean these sort of chances don't come often and it's your life, not theirs. Also by logical thinking, you're doing architecture so UK would be a good place to brush up on those aesthetic, creative skills.
Besides, other European countries like Italy, Germany have such have a wide range of exposure for you and I think you'll benefit from it. If this is the validation, confirmation that you seek, then I'm all about supporting you because I know you're talented, smart and hard working. You're good enough for this. "As you let my words sink in for a minute or two, you took your time and lighted another cigarette for your weary mind to wander around those toxic fumes. You then gave an affirmed nod, signaling that that would be the end to our important discussion, that you've made your choice.
And I hope throughout all that, you've actually made the right one.
No comments:
Post a Comment