Like a concealed secret,
if you will.
When we've spent half the night painting the town red, we got back to your humble abode. Your parents weren't home as they were visiting a few relatives back in their hometown and mine weren't very much akin to where and who I was with during that period of time. It was for the first time I was able to see what your sanctuary looked like, what was lurking inside those 4 sided walls you resided in and it was nothing more than what I expected of you. Posters of numerous artists and bands were plastered on your wall with several additional postcards from across the sea, scribbles, notes and to-do lists were placed along side your computer screen, undeveloped rolls of film found across your table top, books of Salman Rushdie, Neil Gailman, Orhan Pamuk and several others stacked neatly by the side of your bed, just in case the need to read suddenly arises, you explained to me.
Funny and eccentric,
that what I've always thought of you.
We stayed up late listening to songs found on your iTunes playlist, humming and singing along as we took our individualistic places on that queen size bed of yours. As the sun was about to rise within those hours which truthfully felt like a few minutes stretched beyond insurmountable explanation, I could see it's colour bursting with such radiance and clairvoyance. It was then that I asked without much thinking on my part as I played with your long tousled hair ,
"Hey, I know this is a really random question, asked at a really random time but what does your name mean anyways? The middle and the first? I'm just curious to know."You then answered,
"'Nicholas' means people of victory and my Chinese name 'Jyn' according to my dad, means light. So put it all together, that would make me the light that would lead people to victory."You ended that sentence with a laugh but I could in a way, sense that you were happy,satisfied of telling me something you were proud of. It was then you shifted your gaze towards me and asked me the same questionnaire yet with much more intensity than I anticipated but I took it all in stride and answered what was left wondering.
"Okay, promise you won't laugh? I've always thought of it as a joke but since you've asked, I'll be happy to oblige. My second name 'Ismail' means God hears and my first 'Zalikha' means charming beauty. So that would make me the charming beauty that God hears - told you it was a complete joke."But you kept your gaze on me and stared intently into my eyes for a second or what seemed to be forever and that's when you took my hands into yours and let our fingers be intertwined. You smiled that sweet smile of yours, coming closer to my side of the bed and suddenly without warning, whispered slowly into my ears words of pure absolution,
"Don't you realize? Your name has got you figured, spot on."
2 comments:
Beautiful ;-)
Such are memories of the past, to be reminisced and missed to no avail. Am I right?
Post a Comment